At Good Shepherd we have several students who have severe nut allergies. This means when they come in contact with nuts it could be a life-threatening situation for them. Thanks for helping to keep our kids safe.
Did you know???
- Peanuts and nuts are different : Peanuts are “ground” nuts and all other nuts are “tree” nuts (i.e. walnuts, cashews, almonds etc).
- Cross contamination is a common source of anaphylactic reactions. Cross contamination occurs when “safe” foods become “unsafe” through contact with peanuts or peanut products. (i.e. a knife used to spread peanut butter is put into the butter then the butter is used to make cookies- the cookies are then contaminated!
- If your child has peanut butter for breakfast and does not wash his/her hands, then touches the playground equipment, a child with a peanut allergy will have a reaction if he/she touches the same piece of equipment.
- Bulk foods without ingredient lists are considered unsafe for someone with a severe peanut/nut allergy.
Good Shepherd Parent Council would like to ask all parents to be aware of peanut products and avoid sending them to school with their children. Thank you.
Ban on Energy Drinks
All energy drinks such as Red Bull, Amp, Full Throttle and other drinks containing high levels of caffeine are now banned from the school. Please refrain from bringing these drinks into the school.
Health experts advise that children should not drink energy drinks because of various health concerns, including the drinks’ high caffeine content, which can lead to sleeplessness, anxiety, nervousness, elevated blood pressure and heart rate, and their high calorie content, which can contribute to other problems.
Red Bull, Amp, Adrenaline Rush, Lost Energy, Full Throttle and scores of other so-called energy drinks fall into this category. When in doubt read the label for a list of ingredients.
More information can be found at the following links.
- www.starsfor kidz.com/Portals/26/ProactiveMarketingToKids.pdf
Get In TouchGood Shepherd School 211 Beaconhill Dr Fort McMurray, AB T9H 2R1
Phone: 780-799-5763 Fax: 780-799-5766
Principal: Ms. Laura Dennis